Happy Hormones are defined as certain chemicals in the brain that when released regulate mood, appetite, sleep, and overall wellbeing. Balanced Health can be defined as harmonious soundness in body and mind. When these happy hormones are in balance and released regularly they make you feel happier. Here are some tips on how to start creating this in your life right now!
Exercise is fun and doesn’t have to take more than an hour. In addition, these types of activities boost our happy hormones that help balance our mind. What we don’t use we will lose. In other words, keep moving. Take a walk around the block, ride a bike, swim, or do yoga. Whatever interests you and motivates you to get out and move! I feel that a variety of different activities not only activates the brain but also calls on different groups of muscles to get used. Two family activities come to mind to help utilize all body parts.
· An outdoor activity can be to go for a hike this gets us moving our large muscle groups. Here in North County there are so many easy places to hike. My suggestion is Dailey Ranch. The walk to the Ranch house and back is paved with beautiful trees and is a 2.5 miles round trip.
· The indoor activity can be as simple as playing a game of balloon volley and any age can participate. You will need fly swatters and a balloon. These items can be found at the dollar store. Stand in a family circle and volley the balloon around the room. This gets us up out of our chairs and moving our small stability muscles.
All of the exercises wouldn’t be possible without the fuel our body needs to keep going. A balanced diet is very important to offering the right kind of energy to our muscles and brain need which also play a role in the release of happy hormones. Nutrition doesn’t have to be complicated either. Eating foods that are fresh or homemade are always better than anything that is processed or packaged. When thinking of meals or snacks for the family here’s a good rule: Always eat mostly alive fresh foods, sometimes meats, very little carbohydrates, and once in a while a sweet treat (preferably homemade). My husband Chef Lawrence at DinnerDelivery.net has a wonderful menu that has nutritional information and is always homemade. When you’re in a time crunch and have a schedule that doesn’t allow for time in the kitchen, his food is delicious and perfect for reheating. One snack recipe that can be family friendly is homemade tortilla chips and salsa.
· An easy recipe is to use organic corn tortillas. Use a pizza cutter to cut them into triangle pieces. Paint them with olive oil mixed with one drop of doTERRA’s high quality Lime essential oil (be sure the essential oil you use are food grade, it will say “supplement facts” on the bottle) and salt. Bake the chips on a pan in the oven at 350 for 5-8 minutes (they will be brown and crispy). For the salsa I chop up tomatoes, onions, fresh cilantro with a squeeze of lemon and mix in a bowl. The warm crispy chips are so delicious with the cool freshness of the salsa.
Our minds are complicated wonderful parts of ourselves that house our brain and our emotions. Keeping those happy hormones flowing on a consistent basis can offer such support for our body as well as our emotions. Emotional health is the biggest part of keeping our life balanced. When we feel good, we want to do good things. Creating happy hormones with nutrition and exercise aide in keeping us feeling motivated and positive, but, sometimes our stressful lives beg for a little more. Simply, doing this act everyday will also release those happy hormones along with a variety of other positive brain chemicals that will complete the healthy balance of our daily routines.
· Take 5 minutes at the beginning of your day to just be still, breathe, and feel the emotion of gratefulness. Literally, think of whatever triggers that grateful feeling in you and hold that thought and feel it deeply. For me, it’s the thought of my boys smiling at me. I relish in that moment like a warm blanket. I let it wrap me up and spend that 5 minutes feeling good.
· There are also a variety of doTERRA essential oils that can add to this experience. Anything citrus is uplifting and rejuvenating. Lemon, Lime or Grapefruit can be used in our water daily and diffused to keep our thoughts and feelings happy.
A balanced healthy lifestyle doesn’t have to be complicated. Unleash those happy hormones daily and activate the body and mind by eating alive fresh ingredients, getting out to move your body, and meditating on the goodness of your life.